Arundel Castle is situated in magnificent grounds overlooking the River Arun, built at the end of 11th century by the Earl of Arundel. (23)
It houses a collection of fine furniture dating back to 16th century, tapestries and portraits by Van Dyck, Gainsborough, Reynold and Canaletto. The building today owes much to the restoration project in completed in 1900, being one of the first houses to be fitted with electric light and central heating. Outside are gardens and glasshouses. Refreshments can be found in the Servants Hall.