Whispers of Billingshurst is a friendly cafe with a delicious breakfast and lunch menu. Here, cafe manager and chef Paul Thomsett, shares a recipe for simple bubble and squeak you can make at home.
Read the recipe below and download and print the recipe card for your bookshelf.
- Peel and cube the potatoes and boil until soft. Drain well and mash with butter.
- Chop the cabbage and braise in vegetable oil slowly over a low heat until the cabbage softens. Drain off the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the cabbage with the mashed potato.
- In a medium to hot pan, melt a knob of butter. Shape the cabbage and potato mix into patties (2 per person), either by hand or using a pastry cutter, and add them to the pan.
- Fry the patties for a few minutes turning occasionally until they are brown on both sides. Serve with poached or fried eggs on top.
4 large potatoes
1 savoy cabbage
Seasoning, to taste
4 eggs (optional)