Cook along with Jordan Powell of South Lodge Hotel and Spa restaurant The Pass. Here, as part of the Virtual Big Nibble, he cooks a stunning trout dish that is quick to cook yet very impressive.
Read the recipe below and watch the video. Plus, download and print the recipe card for your bookshelf.
For the sea trout
In the video the sea trout is cooked over Japanese coals like we do in the restaurant, but if you are trying this dish at home then cooking the trout in a frying pan will work well.
- Heat frying pan to a medium heat with 2 tbsp of olive oil and place trout fillet skin side down.
- Cook 5-6 mins or until the fish starts to turn pink, flip fish over and pull pan off the heat and leave for around 2 mins. This allows the residual heat from the pan to finish cooking the fish.
For the Gem lettuce velouté
- Pre-heat large saucepan to a high heat.
- Remove stalk of gem lettuce then finely slice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the white wine vinegar or lemon juice to saucepan then add the sliced lettuce.
- Cook quickly on a high heat add a pinch of salt and the vermouth and fino sherry.
- Cook until liquid disappears then place lettuce mixture into a blender and blend with 100g of the cold butter cubes.
- Adjust seasoning and pass through a fine sieve over a bowl of ice to ensure the colour of the velouté remains vivid.
For the salad
- Cut bulb of fennel in half and slice thinly either by hand or on a mandolin.
- Place in a small mixing bowl.
- Quarter the green grapes and place in bowl with fennel and toss with 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt.
For the almonds
- Place 50g of butter in a small sauce pan over a medium heat, once butter starts to bubble add flaked almonds and cook until golden brown.
- Once cooked place onto a tray lined with a cloth or kitchen roll.
Once all the elements are prepared you are ready to plate, in the video you will see the plating of the dish is very natural and is open to interpretation if you are making this at home.
Drink Pairing from The Horsham Cellar Crios Torrontés (Argentina)
1 Sea Trout fillet
40ml Olive Oil
Gem Lettuce Velouté
3 heads Little Gem Lettuce
1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar or
25ml Vermouth (Noillly Pratt)
25ml Fino Sherry
100g Butter (Chilled)
1 bulb Fennel
6 Green Grapes
50g Flaked Almonds
1 tbsp Lemon juice