As part of the Virtual Big Nibble, Laurence Swann shares this vegetarian recipe on behalf of Kaya cafe in Horsham Park.
Read the recipe below and download and print the recipe card for your bookshelf.
Preheat oven to 200 Degrees C
For the Beetroot Salad
- Remove stalks and leaves from beetroots. Rinse in cold water and dry.
- Place in a roasting pan and roast beets until tender about 20 minutes, depending on size. Set aside and peel when cooled
- Beat the goat’s cheese with an electric had mixer or whisk. Soften with a little milk as necessary.
- Season to taste.
- Roughly chop the roasted hazelnuts.
For the Beetroot Puree
- Heat sugar and vinegar in a pan until sugar is dissolved, simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove from heat and add diced beets and shallots, leave to cool
- Once cooled, blend until smooth.
- Season to taste.
For the Beetroot Hummus
- Drain chickpeas (reserve some liquid for added consistency)
- Blend chickpeas, garlic, cooked beetroot, olive oil and tahini paste until smooth.
- Add a little chickpea liquid if required to give a soft, creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Divide the hummus between the plates (2 as a main course or 4 as a starter)
- Cut the roasted candied beetroots into quarters and arrange around the hummus.
- Pipe or spoon small blobs whipped goats’ cheese around the plate.
- Pipe or spoon small blobs of beetroot puree around the plate.
- Sprinkle with the chopped roasted hazelnuts.
- Add a few micro herbs to garnish, if using.
Drink Pairing from The Horsham Cellar: Coolhurst, Sparkling Demi Sec Rose
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter
2 bunches of Baby Beetroots (candied or assorted colours)
150g Soft Sussex Goats Cheese (eg. Sister Sarah)
4 tbsp Hazelnuts, roasted and skinned
Micro herbs to garnish, if wished
Pickled Beetroot Purée
300ml Red Wine Vinegar
Bunch of Purple Beetroots, roasted, peeled and diced
4 Shallots, finely chopped
Sea Salt and freshly ground
1 x 400g can Chickpeas
2 roasted Purple Beetroots
2 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Tahini Paste
2 tbsp Olive Oil