Horsham District Council is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use the Discover Horsham District website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- Use the Recite tool to aid with your use of the website
The Discover Horsham District website is built using the Squiz Matrix content management system.
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand. AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
Measures to support accessibility
Horsham District Council takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of the Discover Horsham District website:
- Include accessibility throughout our internal policies
- Integrate accessibility into our procurement practices
- Provide continual accessibility training for our staff
- Include people with disabilities in our user research programmes
- Employ formal accessibility quality assurance methods
- Maintain an accessibility improvement roadmap
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA.
The Discover Horsham District website is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard.
Additional accessibility considerations
Although our goal is WCAG 2.1 Level AA conformance, we have also applied some Level AAA Success Criteria.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of the Discover Horsham District website.
Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on The Discover Horsham District website:
- Phone: 01403 215100
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham RH12 1RL
We try to respond to feedback within 5 working days.
We aim to respond to accessibility feedback within 5 working days, and to propose a solution within 10 working days.
You are entitled to escalate a complaint to the Council’s complaints officer email@example.com, should you be dissatisfied with our response to you.
Accessibility of the Discover Horsham District website relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
The Discover Horsham District website is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
- Screen reader, font size, colour theme, ruler, screen mask, dictionary, languages, text-mode, audio download, screen magnifying, adjustable settings, reset button, user guide, keyboard navigation
The Discover Horsham District website is designed to be compatible with the following browsers:
- Safari, Chrome, IE, Edge, Samsung internet, Firefox, Safari (in-app), Amazon silk, Android webview, Opera, Opera Mini, Android browser, UC browser, Bitdiscovery, Blackberry, DDG-Android-3.1.0, Maxthon, Mozilla, Mozilla Compatible Agent, Puffin, PS4, SeaMonkey, YaBrowser, BrowserNG, Iron
The Discover Horsham District website is designed to be compatible with the following operating systems:
- iOS, Windows, Android, Macintosh, Chrome OS, Linux, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Xbox, Tizen, SymbianOS, Google TV
The Discover Horsham District website is not compatible with:
- Dillo, iCab, Lunascape, Lynx, Mosaic, NetSurf
Limitations and alternatives
We regularly test our website for limitations. Currently there are no accessibility limitations on the Discover Horsham District website.
Navigation and accessing information
Interactive tools and transactions
Horsham District Council assessed the accessibility of The Discover Horsham District website by the following approaches:
- Internal and external user research testing
- Silktide automated reporting and benchmarking
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Formal approval of this accessibility statement
This Accessibility Statement is approved by Horsham District Council’s Head of Technology Services.
This statement was last updated on 11 June 2020. We update this statement annually and will next review it in April 2021.